Monday, February 18, 2008

One year later...

It occurred to me today as I was gardening that I've been a published author for almost one year now. In celebration (of the year, not of me actually remembering this {G}) I'm going to do some inspiration blogs. See, I don't believe in a "muse" per se, but I find inspiration in the strangest (and sometimes most obvious) of places. I'm like a neurotic magpie that way, hoarding shiny bits of information and getting excited about life's happy surprises.

Some of these are things that I'm not sure anyone else would get turned on about. The NY Times' science section, for example, is something I find unbelievably sexy. (It's all right. You can call me a geek. I don't mind.) Other things, like the Neon Boneyard here in Las Vegas -- which I'm hoping to return to sometime in the next couple of weeks -- have clearly resonated with readers as well. So I'm going to share some images and kernels of inspiration for the world of the Zodiac, and if there's anything you've been wondering about in either of the books, please let me know and I'll riff on that as well.

For now, I thought I'd share something that's playing a heavy role in the creation of book4 (though not in an obvious way). Here's a video of American tribal bellydancer Rachel Brice ... one of my current obsessions. She's a goddess, and a cool chick to boot. Dance is her passion, her religion, her meditation, and the way she expresses herself in this world. Rather like me with my writing. Gotta love that.

Here's her talking a bit about her dance, and her approach to it:

Tribal Style Belly Dance is so incredible on so many levels, the most important I think being community and self-acceptance. The movements themselves are based on body language that communicates strength and poise, and I think that's an amazing partner to femininity. I remember one man telling me after a show that he'd never seen sensuality paired with elegance before, and it transformed the way he saw women. Pretty cool.

One difficulty for me is that it is such a commercial venture, and we have to "sell" our show. I don't have control over a lot of the advertising, and I'm very particular about how the dance is portrayed. Some of the write-ups of our show are very "male": they focus on the skin and sensuality and miss the power, and that's difficult to take sometimes.

I think, however, my main struggle is that of growing as a dancer when there's no time to create. We're always performing, so that leaves very little time to go watch other dance forms, find new music, sneak into the underground for costuming ideas, practice yoga with new teachers, or make new dances ... newness is one of the things I require to feel passionate about my dancing
,

IOW, she's a kindred spirit.

Here's a video that shows her style and playfulness and power, though it can't relate her incredible skill in entirety. For that, I suggest you google Rachel Brice.

More soon!
(BTW, cover flats are winging the way to all the winners. Thank you all again for answering!)

8 comments:

Chandra Rooney said...

OMG. Thank you for that video, because something just fell into place.

Can't talk. Must write before the visual escapes me. *G*

I offer you this in return:
http://www.wonderfist.net/Andy/gallery.html

cat said...

Hmm,I'm tempted to say "what are you doing out there gardening when you should be writing my fourth book!!" But I won't. :) I could also sing NO FAIR that you had that cover flat contest whilst I was away on my Disney Honeymoon and had no internet access. But I won't.

Why? Because you're still my Goddess of Urban Fantasy and it's cool to find out what inspires those you think are creative geniuses.. (genieye?). Plus you're pretty darn cool.

I haven't stalked you in a while, I'll bet you've missed me!

Harry Markov said...

Hey Vicki, amazing video and an amazing woman and the song is so awesome. I am downloading the kick ass song.

By the way I am soon to be getting your bookies and I am so excited. You are not a geek. I adore the sophisticated muses you have.

I personally just use fashion, colors, textures, mythology and music as inspiration. Not much, but still.

Susan Adrian said...

Oooh, congrats on the one year as published author! I actually {cough} remember the date...Feb 27, wasn't it?

Quite a year, eh?

Brooke Reviews said...

Hey Vicki!

Just wanted to say congratulations on your first year!

Also, I have Rachel Brice's DVD. She is amazing to watch. I practice to it, and she puts me under some type of trance. I'll find myself standing there, hand on hip, just watched her with my mouth hanging open. :D

Vicki Pettersson said...

No, Chandra! My inspiration! Mine, mine, mine! {G}
(Just kidding -- glad if it helped!)

Cat -- {psst} P-mail me your addy at VickiATvickipetterssonDOTcom. I have an extra here and I can't resist a newlywed. (Plus, yanno...you called me a goddess.) Congratulations!

DAYDREAM - What do you mean _just_? Those are wonderful forms of inspiration. I use those things as well...speaking of textures: fringe is sexy. And that's all I'm saying about that. {G}

SUZE - Yep, that's the date! Can you believe it's been a year already? Wow, time flies.

Hi BROOKE - Which DVD do you have? I have the Tribal Fusion w/yoga, but it goes into the yoga too fast for me. I'm old. {wry g} I want to get the one where she shows her amazing arm work. She's so incredible.

Chandra Rooney said...

What helped most, Vic, was switching to first person POV. You can claim that inspiration, if you want, but you have to share it with Karen Mahoney. ;)

Brooke Reviews said...

Hi Vicki!

I have the same one as you. It does move super fast. As a beginner I can't do much of it.