Thursday, March 6, 2008

More on inspiration

Anyone who knows me also knows how I scoff at the mere mention of a muse. Writing is work, you do it – in my case, everyday – and the fickle-minded muse can kiss my ranting ass if she doesn’t like it.

This is not to say I don’t seek out things that inspire me. But those things are often the mundane, usually personal (ie. Something someone else would look past entirely, like the Boneyard) but highly universal, meaning if I can capture this idea in words, other people will get it.

Okay, so today’s example is an article about a guy named Dallas Robinson, who’s ostensibly too big, too old, and without the resources one needs to train to be an Olympic sprinter. Now, I’ve never wanted to be a sprinter, but the best circumstances in my life, including writing, have come about because of impossible dreams, so his story spoke to me.

The full article is here (you may need to register for free to view it) but much about Dallas’ story reminds me of the writer’s life:

He left behind a comfortable, normal life ... driven only by a nagging sense that this is what he is supposed to do.

“I believe I’m going to end up in the Olympics,” Robinson, 25, said. “I don’t know how I’m going to get there. But I guess if the mountain were smooth, you wouldn’t be able to climb it.”

But this is the part I loved:

“Is this stupid? Probably. But I know I am created with a limited amount of gifts. I don’t have the straightest smile, the straightest nose. I’m not the smartest guy in the world. But my legs move fast. That’s one of my gifts that I feel I can share ... It’s the only thing I have to give back right now.”

So often you hear about people focusing on what they’re not. Or what they’re currently not. (I really love that last line: ‘…the only thing I have to give back right now.’ Like he knows he’s going to have more gifts and talents to amaze people with in the future.) This guy is able to dream big – and get others to dream with him – by focusing on what he is. I don’t know about you, but I’d say that’s pretty smart.

And I also know it was when I turned my eyes away from my writing heroes and said, “Yes, but who am I?” that I was able to bring my voice and strengths to the forefront. That was the project I completed. That was the book I saw published.

Of course, it takes more than dreams and hard work. This guy is going to need a sponsor soon. In writing, I think of sponsors as the people surrounding us, who enable and encourage us to get to the page everyday. One of a writer’s greatest assets is a spouse (or friends) who may not understand your dream, but supports it anyway. Anyway, Dallas’ coach sums it up the best:

“How come when we’re kids we want to be astronauts and firefighters and Indian chiefs, and then when we turn 20 years old we give up on our dreams?” Young said. “Dallas is a good example of a guy who’s still trying to be an astronaut.”

And so are pre-published authors.

See? Inspiration is everywhere.

Good luck, Dallas.

5 comments:

Chandra Rooney said...

Sponsors are the ones that give mad-dreaming writers places to sleep.

We are grateful for having them.

(That might not be a metaphor.)

Heather Harper said...

"And I also know it was when I turned my eyes away from my writing heroes and said, “Yes, but who am I?” that I was able to bring my voice and strengths to the forefront."

I struggle with this, but I do so much better when I focus on who I am. :-)

Great post, V.

Anonymous said...

Really great writeup. I loved it. Really makes one think, and reconsider things, especially my stance on my writing. Thanks!

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Good reminder.

Vicki Pettersson said...

Heather - you and me both. {s}