Monday, March 10, 2008

An old friend

I am unfortunately having problems uploading photos to my blog today. I'll try to figure out another way a bit later (when I have time for yet another learning curve, but first a story:

A couple of weeks ago I'm in my study, scribbling furiously to make sure I meet my next deadline (ie., checking for belly lint). I get a phone call from someone who identifies herself as a board member from the Neon Museum/Boneyard. It's been a couple of years since I've last visited, and would I like to come back for a tour.

Would I?

I'd just been thinking of that very think, longing for a visit with my old girl, the Silver Slipper.

So I went out there last week, took lots of photos, and reaquainted myself with the terrain of the entrance to Jo Archer (and co's) sanctuary. I kissed the Slipper, made some new friends (hello Nevada Palace signage) and waxed nostalgic about old Vegas.

The best part? Prior to my visit I asked Melissa (aforementioned board member) what made her think of me. She said she sometimes acts as a ghost on the tours as sometimes people get a little grabby and want to steal lightbulbs and copper wiring from the boneyard, don't ask me why.* But she said she often came away confused because she kept hearing people mention a "portal" in the Boneyard.

LOL.

Melissa happened to mention this odd phenomena to her sister, who said, "Duh. Haven't you ever heard of Vicki Pettersson?" and shoved my book into her sister's hands.

So, I have to say thank you Melanie and Melissa for a wonderful tour, and to Jennifer for 'duh-ing' her sister, and to all the readers who've visited the Boneyard so far. The cost of the tour helps pay for restoration of the signage, and the agents of Light thank you.

*Yes, you can go on a tour of the Neon Boneyard. Info can be found here.

7 comments:

Chandra Rooney said...

I did not get a chance to tour when I was there in Nov, so I am trying to plan for it on my next trip.

(Do we have to submit a project summary if we wanted to take personal stock photos?)

Heather Harper said...

Ha! Love that. :-)

Susan Adrian said...

VERY cool.

I'd love to see that, when I make it to Vegas!

Kim Castillo said...

Now that is way cool!

I love the Duh moment. LOL

kc dyer said...

This has got to be the coolest setting EVAH!!!!

Vicki Pettersson said...

CHANDRA - I'm not sure, but you can call and ask. The boneyard staff is extremely helpful.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

That is cool, especially since she got "duh'd" by her sister.