Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Boneyard Tour, Part One

As I mentioned yesterday, I went out to tour the Neon Boneyard last week: the sanctuary and default home-sweet-home to Joanna Archer and the agents of Light from my Signs of the Zodiac series. Here are a few pictures from the daytime, when the portals are closed and the mortal population is out and about. If you look closely, however, you can see the footprints our agents leave behind as they enter and exit via the Slipper, and the smaller ones left by initiates playing beneath a full Vegas moon, and a ward mother's watchful eye...

This is from the Horseshoe. I love the geometry here. Can you imagine this all lit up downtown?



Brand new to the Boneyard from the old Nevada Palace. There’s an entrance into the core of this sign … which marries nicely with my worldbuilding.




Just to give a little sense of scale, I stood in front of the Aladdin’s original lamp, which I just love. They actually have this area set up so they can perform wedding ceremonies in the clearing. I think it would be cool if the signage in this part of the boneyard still actually lit up, then they could have sunset weddings. (So stop stealing the copper wiring folks!)



From the Sweetheart Chapel … minus the chapel, plus one additional sweetheart. (And if you believe that, I have some fantasy books I can sell ya…)



And, wait! What’s that? Is that a Silver Slipper I see in the distance? More with her tomorrow…



For now, I'll leave you with a photo of my girl, the Blue Angel. Anyone remember her from THE TASTE OF NIGHT? She's looking a bit shabby these days, but I know if she ever comes down off that pedestal, the Boneyard would treat her right. I know it's kitschy, but I still love her...

11 comments:

Tara Parker said...

I can't believe I lived in Vegas for SIX years and never went to this place. In fact, I didn't even know it existed.

The husband and I are going to have a little "chat" tonight. You'd think a native would have mentioned this at some point...

Chandra Rooney said...

These books started with a dream about a girl attacking someone with a stiletto. The Silver Slipper, entrance to the best super secret hideout, is a stiletto/pump.

...was I the only who took this long to get that?

Thanks for the pics. It will help tone down the twisted metal my brain adds to the boneyard. :)

Vicki Pettersson said...

TARA - It's okay! I think that until recently it was an open secret. The boneyard is getting a lot of play now, but in the past it was more of a(nother) Vegas novelty. (So don't hurt him!)

CHANDRA - You're right. That's friggin' deep, dude! {g}

Vic

Harry Markov said...

Oh imagine if all this was actually lit up in the night and you had a fight scene among the neon lights that is like so cool. I am still on book one, but I will get there. By the way since you are writing about signs of the zodiac, do you really plan for 12 books? That would be awesome.

PS: You are a sweetheart. Have I mentioned how good you look on the back of your books.

Anonymous said...

Is the blue angel in te boneyard too? Does it spin?

Unknown said...

That is so cool... me and my wife are talking about going to Vegas for next year's vacation, I definitely want to stop by and see this!!!

Chandra Rooney said...

Wow, shoes are the answer to all of (Joanna's) life's mysteries. :D

Vicki Pettersson said...

DAYDREAM - Thank you! As for twelve books, I'm not sure yet. I'm certainly not going to drag the series out longer than it needs to be. I want to push Joanna hard and far with each book. That said, her story and world keep growing. So I'm not really in charge here. I'm just going to follow where she leads. (Right now, there are six books for sure!)

ANONYMOUS - The Blue Angel is not in the Boneyard. She's still twirling above the motel (of the same name) but that might be the next to fall. We'll see. I just hope that if/when it does, the Boneyard gets her. There have been a lot of signs lost in demolition.

JOSH - You should, for sure! I love it. Clearly.

Vic

Harry Markov said...

Thanks for the answer and the add in MySpace! I can't wait for the next four. It's gonna be a great series.

Anonymous said...

Hey Swweetie, remember the old motel on the strip that had the above ground swimming pool with a large glass window in it? You could see people swimming through the glass window on the side? That might be a possible scene location for something to happen. I always thought it was interesting.
Mom

Vicki Pettersson said...

MOM - How many times do I have to tell you? Don't call me sweetie on my bad-ass UF blog! Sheesh.

Um, they tore down the Glass Pool Inn two years ago. Broke my heart. I used to drive past it every day on the way to work.