Thursday, April 10, 2008

The writing front, and a new bulletin board!

My, it has been awhile, hasn't it?


Quietude is good, though. Unlike the rest of the dark fantasy world, I will not be attending the RT Booklover's Con next week. I'm staying home to scribble. The good thing is I'm grooving and the book is growing and Jo and Co. are talking to me. The bad thing is, this book is growing. I'm looking at its length, and how much story my instincts are telling me I have left, and I could easily double what I already have.

That. Is. Not. Acceptable.

So I'm foregoing my daily word count to drop back ten and punt, reassess and reorder, replot -- which is why plotting up front doesn't really work for me. The story changes the story, so what's the point? (Note to self: Do try to remember this next time, dude.)

In other news, I now have a bulletin board designed and run by one of my readers, Raven. She's amazing in that she's attentive to detail, knows how to spell {wry g} and kicks me off my own boards when she knows I have writing to do. She's also a relative expert on all things Zodiac (though I do get to trump her there on occasion {g}). I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out, and though it's pretty quiet right now, I expect that will change the closer I get to the release of THE TOUCH OF TWILIGHT in June.  I try to hit it daily, mostly afternoons and evenings - as mornings are reserved for fresh words - so if you want to check it out, you can do so here.

And now I leave you with a quote from my favorite Transcendentalist, Emerson. He's long been one of my literary boyfriends, which makes sense since he's dead and was also allegedly gay. All my ex's are dead and gay:

Emerson: Do you not yet see, that, if the single man plant himself indomitably on his instincts, and there abide, the huge world will come round to him.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny. One of my favorite posts was one I did about Emmerson.

Not going to RT either--never been to one yet, but I may try and swing it next year. Rachel will talk me into it by then.

Good luck with whipping the manuscript into shape!

Rachel Vincent said...

Wonderful quote. If only I could remember that when it really matters... ;-)

We'll miss you next week. Now I'm off to check out your new board!

Chandra Rooney said...

Messages boards are the devil, but it is your message board so... I'll look after I meet my deadline. Promise! *g*

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Yeah, I wonder if your dead boyfriend dated my dead boyfriend (Walt Whitman).

;-)