Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Nellis AFB signing

The signing on Saturday went great! I've even already heard back from readers who picked up the books and have finished the first...I can't tell what it does to my cold, black heart to hear that it only took one day for someone to read a book it took me two years to finish!
No, really. I can't tell you. {big grin}
Actually, I recognize it for the supreme compliment it is, and I love to get lost in a book that way, so to hear that my stories had someone putting aside their life for a few hours?
Just awesome.

Melanie, at the BX, put together an amazing booth for me, and as I haven't gotten out to meet readers since my signing for HOLIDAYS ARE HELL with Lynsay Sands in December, it was a great way to take a break from the keyboard for a bit.


Now I have to introduce you to Lon. I first "met" him online. He sent me a letter from Afghanistan after reading THE SCENT OF SHADOWS, and as fate would have it, his home base is Nellis. He is also being deployed two weeks from now, so it was fortuitous that my signing coincided with his stay here. I absolutely, clearly remembered him; his was one of the best emails I've ever received, and meeting him alone made the whole day worth it. It was totally unexpected, and to my mind, that's one of life's greatest pleasures - unexpectedly meeting great people. Thank you so much, Lon, for sticking around and talking with me, letting me know about your life and experiences, and letting me know the fate of that original book!*

*It is still in Afghanistan, and the names of all the servicemen who read it are printed on the front page. I'd love to have that page! I'd frame it.

6 comments:

Heather Harper said...

That is definitely a page worth framing! How awesome for you to have met him. :-)

cat said...

I love when online people become friends that you might not have ever met had it not been for the internet!

You need to do a book signing in Montreal...*ahem* I can hook you up you know. ;)

Chandra Rooney said...

That's an amazing story. It's good to be reminded the internet is a wonderful thing. :)

Vampyre said...

Showgirl!!!

Is this the blog you told me about?

I remember back when I was in the Navy. Paperbacks are a serviceman's best friend. That is very cool what they did with your book. I hope someday, they will send it to you.

If you ever get within 350 miles of me for a signing, I'll be there.

V^^^^V

Vampyre said...

[IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x300/Vampyre111/fuzers.jpg[/IMG]

testing

Samantha Stoner said...

That's awesome! Being a servicemember myself, I like to hear stories about things like that! I've been half tempted to send a few copies of both books over (and the third when it comes out in June). I hope that when there's no more room for signatures, they send it back to you!